In this action-packed episode, we will discuss:
- The status of Enoch and the Book of Enoch in Second Temple Judaism
- The popularity of the solar calendar in the Second Temple period and at Qumran
- The traditions of the Watchers in the Book of the Watchers (1 Enoch 1-36)
- The retelling of the Watchers story in the Animal Apocalypse
There are at least 3 versions of the Watchers story: the Asael tradition, the Shemihaza tradition, and an interwoven tradition regarding the teaching of magic. Listen to learn more!
As we explore the Book of the Watchers, I will pay particular attention to the following questions for each thread of the Watchers tradition:
- What was the Watchers’ sin?
- Did the Watchers’ actions cause human sin, or “just” physical destruction (in the form of the giants and their violence)?
- Did the Watchers’ actions lead to the Flood?
- Did the Watchers’ actions have repercussions after the Flood?
Note: I am not asking these questions regarding the biblical account — only regarding the way this account is interpreted in the Book of Enoch.